Brampton, named for its sister city in the district of Cumbria, UK, was incorporated as a village in 1853 with only 50 residents. By 1873, with 2,000 residents, it was incorporated as a town.
In 1887, the first public library was founded in the Golding Building on Queen Street. These days Brampton has seven library branches, including the new Springdale Branch, which opened in February 2018.
The city’s first newspaper was The Daily Times, which stopped circulation in the 1980s. The long-running Brampton Guardian newspaper began as The Bramalea Guardian in 1964.
While Four Corners was named for the four banks at the intersection of Queen and Main, the original name for the intersection was “Buffy’s Corners,” named for William Buffy’s tavern, the only significant building located there in the early 1830s.
The Ontario provincial government created the new City of Brampton in 1974. This incorporated parts of the Townships of Chinguacousy and Toronto Gore, and included Bramalea and other communities such as Claireville, Ebenezer, Victoria, Springbrook, Churchville, Coleraine, and Huttonville.
Brampton was the first city in the GTA to be designated an International Safe Community by the World Health Organization in 2007. The other municipalities with this designation are Brockville, Calgary, Rainy River Valley, and Wood Buffalo.
Brampton City Council is the first city to approve participation in the Pan-Ontario Electric Bus Demonstration and Integration Trial. The trial includes deploying up to 10 electric buses and four overhead electric charging stations on several transit routes throughout Brampton.
According to the 2016 census, the top three visible minority populations in Brampton are South Asian, Black, and Filipino.
The Census also reports that in addition to English, the top five most spoken languages in Brampton are Punjabi, Gujurati, Portuguese, and Urdu.
While it is the ninth largest city in Canada, Brampton is the third largest city in the GTA, with a population of 593,638, according to the 2016 census.