What is a garbage exemption day?
- You can put unlimited amounts of acceptable garbage
- You don’t need garbage tags
- Always check your collection calendar for your next exemption date to confirm
Garbage exemption schedule
Households with curbside collection have 3 exemption dates each year. Your Garbage exemption days for 2019 and 2020 are:
- June 17 – 18, 2019
- September 16 – 27, 2019
- January 27 – February 7, 2020
Placement and collection
- Always make sure to put your extra trash out on garbage collection day, not on recycling day. Collectors will not collect extra garbage left at the curb on your recycling collection day.
- Collectors might collect your cart and excess garbage during different times of the day.
- Leave your garbage cart and other excess refuse at the curb until 8 pm. If none are collected by then, report a missed collection.
Placing Extra Garbage on the curb
- Place smaller discarded items in garbage bags.
- Put larger items separately on the curb.
- Put excess trash next to garbage cart.
Excess garbage weight and size limits
A garbage bag placed at the curb cannot:
- Weigh more than 20 kgs
- Be bigger than 66 cm wide and 90 cm high
- Be smaller than 30 cm wide and 30 cm wide