The Region of Peel put out a statement this week saying that its “top priority is to maintain the waste collection services” in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, while also safeguarding its workers who are essential to our community.
Here is a list of changes that will be made:
- Some non-essential services will be suspended for physical distancing and to avoid manual collection for workers’ safety.
- Cart exchange requests will only be accepted until April 3.
- Spring battery collection will be suspended (originally scheduled to start April 13).
- In-person garbage bag tag sales will be suspended at all municipal facilities in Peel. You can still pay for bag tags online.
- Hold on to all oversized items (e.g. furniture, mattresses) and avoid ‘spring cleaning’ during this time. These items will not be picked up to avoid unnecessary manual collection.
- Please do not approach the vehicle or operator. Keep in mind the collector’s safety.
- Take extra precautions when disposing of items. If you suspect or have been confirmed to have symptoms of COVID-19 or are self-isolating, please place used tissues, paper napkins, and paper towels in a bag and place them in the garbage.
- Used face masks, protective gloves, and other home healthcare waste must be placed in a bag before being disposed of in the garbage. Never place them in the blue bin.
- Please dispose all food waste in green bins and recyclable material in blue bins.
For apartment and condominium buildings:
- All residents must follow rules and guidelines put in place by building property management.
- Only throw out what needs to be thrown out.
- If you suspect or have been confirmed to have COVID-19 or are self-isolating, please place used tissues, paper napkins, and paper towels in a bag and place them in the garbage.
- Used face masks, protective gloves and other home healthcare waste must be placed in a bag before being disposed of in garbage.
- Hold onto all oversized items such as mattresses and furniture, etc. These will not be picked up until further notice.
For Peel Community Recycling Centres:
- The following items will not be accepted at CRC’s until further notice:
- Large appliances such as stoves, fridges, and dishwashers
- Oversized items such as furniture and mattresses
- CRCs will only be accepting Debit, Visa or Mastercard payments. No cash payments until further notice.
- Rain barrel and backyard composter sales will be suspended until further notice.
- Compost sales, kitchen container sales, and garbage tag sales will be suspended until further notice.
- The Salvation Army Thrift Store at Brampton CRC and Evolve Lifestyle at Bolton CRC will both be closed until further notice.
- Donation drop-off bins at all Peel CRCs will be suspended until further notice.
- All collections for dropped-off clothing and other textile donations will be suspended by various charitable organizations that run these programs. Please hold onto these items until further notice.
To find out more updates of waste service changes and other services and facilities that will be affected in Peel, please visit peelregion.ca/coronavirus/affected-services.