September 21, 2022
(Photo: Vivian Lane)
The City of Brampton has partnered with the Downtown Brampton Business Improvement Area (BIA) and 8 80 Cities, to transform Downtown’s Vivian Lane into an all ages gathering spot in the middle of downtown Brampton!
The upgrades to Vivian Lane include:
• A creative new ground mural produced by local Brampton visual artist Abiola Idowu. Idowu was supported by 40 community volunteers, creating a vibrant public space that supports community gathering.
• New pop-up trees, flexible seating, sandboxes, lighting, and decorative yarn bombing.
• Programming with a variety of activities including: musical performances, art workshops, dementia friendly community experiences, chess lessons, a pop-up night market, and a wellness market, with more to come!
Check out the program schedule for Vivian Lane on the the Downtown Brampton Business Improvement Association (DBBIA) website!
Downtown Brampton BIA Executive Director Suzy Godefroy states that, “The Vivian Lane transformation and musical activations have been part of a broader strategy to bring more people into the downtown and to visit local businesses. She adds that “Vivian Lane is a showcase for what is possible for the downtown and our commitment to supporting businesses through creativity and new collaborations”.
Activate Downtown Brampton aims to increase opportunities for social connection and civic engagement to support local businesses. Launched in May 2022, the program includes free weekly musical activations every Saturday in various gathering spaces across the downtown, and Vivian Lane programming will continue through to the end of September.
Mayor Patrick Brown is excited about what these upgrades can do to enhance the Downtown area, sharing “we’re working to revitalize and unlock the potential of Downtown Brampton by creating quality urban spaces and an enhanced pedestrian realm. Thank you to the residents who have taken part in Activate Downtown Brampton events this summer.”
Some upcoming events to check out at Vivian Lane:
• September 20: Deep Roots, Strong Communities presented by Roots Community Services – 2:00-5:00pm
• September 23: Hindi & Punjabi Improv Night hosted by Soch Mental Health – 6:00-7:00pm; Heart to Heart Poets Open Mic Night – 7:30-9:00pm
• September 24: Free Live Music – 12:00-2:00pm
Running until October 11th, this series of downtown programs will build a more vibrant downtown and exciting new public spaces.
For more information on upcoming free activities for all ages and how to get involved visit Activate Downtown Brampton.