Two years ago Kristen Allen became a mother who has experienced something no parent should ever have to go through. Her daughter, Tatianna Bijou Cuevas, was kidnapped by the child’s non-custodial father, John/Juan “Carlos” Varga Cuevas.
July 29th marks the second anniversary of the kidnapping.
Here is the story of what happened just over two years ago, in Allen’s own words.
On July 29th, 2018, my then 5-year-old daughter Tatianna was taken on a vacation to France and was to return August 12th. Unfortunately, I have not heard or seen from her or her father since. The relationship between her father and I was emotionally and verbally abusive and a 5-year custody battle ensued. I was successful for full custody, but Tatianna’s father was still allowed to travel with her out of the country if he had an itinerary. The itinerary was not accurate and now my child has slipped through the cracks.
What We Know
There are very few leads at this time and the last known sighting of the pair was two years ago. Here is a timeline:
- July 29, 2018: for a planned two-week vacation to France and Germany.
- July 29 to August 4: Tatianna and John are spotted in the following locations:
- Paris, France
- Budapest, Hungary
- August 4, 2018: Tatianna and John are seen on video surveillance at the airport in Togo, West Africa. This is the last reported sighting of the two.
- August 12, 2018: Tatianna and John are expected to return home to Toronto, but don’t arrive at the airport as planned.
- August 14, 2018: Kristen Allen, Tatianna’s mom, contacts Peel Regional Police to report Tatianna’s abduction.
- August 18, 2018: Tatianna turns six years old.
- August 21, 2018: A Canada-wide warrant is issued for John Varga Cuevas for the criminal charge of contravention of a court order.
Cuevas is wanted by Peel Regional Police as well as and the RCMP. There is also a warrant for his arrest with Interpol, as well as an Interpol alert for Tatianna.
Tatianna was 40 pounds at the time of the abduction, and she is probably in the neighbourhood of 45-50 pounds now.
Juan/John ‘Carlos’ Varga Cuevas, 41, is Tatianna’s father’s name, however, he uses aliases such as: John Varga, Dr. John Varga (Optometrist by trade), Carlos Cueva, Carlos Cuevas, John Varga Cuevas, and John Cuevas. Below are a couple of photos of him.
One other important fact: Bijou or Bibi is what Cuevas calls Tatianna and how her mother assumes she’ll be introduced to people who may meet her.
Here are some English-language posters that you can save and use below, and if you want posters in other languages, check here. At the time of this writing there are 13 translations, as befitting the international nature of this kidnapping.
Facebook Group devoted to helping get Tatianna back home: https://www.facebook.com/groups/308113969956621/
Missing Children Society of Canada: https://mcsc.ca/cases/tatianna-bijou-cuevas/
MissingKids alert: https://alert.missingkidsalert.ca/view/tatianna-bijou-cuevas