The Province has extended its Declaration of Emergency and all of the things associated with it. This includes schools, non-essential workplaces, and all of the applicable restrictions on people gathering.

The Province has also issued a new emergency order to shutter all outdoor recreational facilities, too. This means places like playgrounds and sports fields. It is effective immediately.

Premier Doug Ford says, “Based on the best medical advice available, we are taking further steps today to protect the health and safety of all Ontarians by closing outdoor recreational amenities, like sports fields and playgrounds, and extending our emergency orders to save lives.”. He added, “We all need to work together and do our part to stop COVID-19 by staying home, practising physical distancing, and avoiding social gatherings.”

Christine Elliott, the Deputy Premier and Minister of Health says, “We are acting on the best advice of our Chief Medical Officer of Health and other leading public health officials across the province.”

The City of Brampton already stepped in to do some of this last week, but these measures now apply to the entire Province of Ontario. Any and all shared community spaces and recreational areas, whether publicly or privately owned, must close immediately. It includes the following, which is not an exclusive list: tennis courts, playgrounds, basketball courts, dog parks, skate parks, community gardens, beaches, condominium rooftop gardens and other common areas, and much more.

Walking trails still remain open in green spaces, such as parks, trails, and conservation areas. That said, people need to keep a minimum of two metres between themselves and others at all times.

“We will continue to take decisive action to stop the spread of COVID-19 and protect Ontarians’ health and wellbeing,” she continued.

The emergency extension runs until at least April 13, 2020.

Comments

comments