Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Day
Here’s what will be open and what will be closed on Christmas Day, Wednesday, December 25, 2019, and New Year’s Day, Wednesday, January 1, 2020, in Brampton.
For any questions, residents can always dial 311 if you’re within the city, or if you’re outside, dial: 905-874-2000, or 905-874-2130 (teletypewriter or text telephone) for any City of Brampton or Region of Peel matters, including parking, garbage collection, recreation programs, and more.
- City Hall, and Government offices on all levels
- All major malls, including Bramalea City Centre, and Shopper’s World (will be open Boxing Day)
- All major grocery and superstores, including Walmart, Metro, and Longo’s (some will be open on Boxing Day, call ahead for info)
- All shopping centres, including Trinity Commons (will be open Boxing Day)
- Community Centres
- LCBO, Beer Stores and Wine Rack (some will be open Boxing Day, call ahead for info)
- No mail delivery
- Garbage and recycling will be collected one day later
- Some convenience stores, like your corner convenience
- Some Shoppers Drug Marts
- Most smaller grocery stores, like Rabba
- Movie theatres
- Though many Indian, Middle Eastern and Asian restaurants will be open, it is advisable to call ahead before making the trip
- If you’re looking for a shopping mall on Christmas Day, Pacific Mall will be open. (4300 Steeles Avenue East in Markham)
- Outdoor ice rinks and trails for skating (call ahead, there may not be gear rentals and food available)
- Brampton Transit will operate on a Sunday schedule
- GO Transit buses and trains will operate on a Sunday schedule
Many of these locations may have shorter hours on Christmas Eve, December 24 as well. As always, if you are ever unsure about anything during the holidays, call ahead to confirm.
Extended Holiday Closures
The following public offices and alternate public services will be closed for the holiday season, from Tuesday, December 24, 2019 at 12 p.m. through to Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 8:30 a.m.
- City Hall: residents will not be able to apply in person for marriage licences, pay parking fines, or apply for permits during this time.
- Fire and Emergency Services, and the City of Brampton By-Law Enforcement: will continue to operate normally.
- Garbage Collection: residents are to check their garbage and recycling collection calendar. Visit www.peelregion.ca/waste for the calendar.
Brampton Transit: will run on holiday schedule:
|Tuesday||December 24, 2019||reduced weekday service|
|Wednesday||December 25, 2019||Sunday/holiday service|
|Thursday||December 26, 2019||Saturday service|
|Friday||December 27, 2019||reduced weekday service|
|Saturday||December 28, 2019||Saturday service|
|Sunday||December 29, 2019||Sunday/holiday service|
|Monday||December 30, 2019||reduced weekday service|
|Tuesday||December 31, 2019||reduced weekday service with extended service on some routes and FREE New Year’s Eve service on ALL ROUTES beginning at 7 p.m.|
|Wednesday||January 1, 2020||reduced weekday service|
|Thursday||January 2, 2020||reduced weekday service|
|Friday||January 3, 2020||reduced weekday service|
|Saturday||January 4, 2020||Saturday service|
|Sunday||January 5, 2020||Sunday/holiday service|
|The 199 UTM Express and school routes (200 series) will resume on January 6|
For route and full schedule information, call 905.874.2999 or visit www.bramptontransit.com.
Brampton Library: All branches (Chinguacousy Branch, Cyril Clark Branch, Four Corners Branch, Gore Meadows Branch, Mount Pleasant Village Branch, South Fletcher’s Branch and Springdale Branch) will be closed:
|Tuesday||December 24, 2019|
|Wednesday||December 25, 2019|
|Thursday||December 26, 2019|
|Friday||December 27, 2019|
|Saturday||December 28, 2019|
|Sunday||December 29, 2019|
|Monday||December 30, 2019|
|Tuesday||December 31, 2019|
|Wednesday||January 1, 2020|
For more information, call 905.793.4636 or 311, or visit www.bramptonlibrary.ca.
Events and Things to Do
Outdoor Skating Rinks: will be open, weather-permitting. As of December 16: Gage Park, Chinguacousy Park, and Mount Pleasant rinks are open. Gore Meadows Outdoor Covered Skating Rink is scheduled to be open the week of December 23. These outdoor skating rinks are free for use, except for Gore Meadows, where fees apply. For more information see here.
Mount Chinguacousy Ski Slopes: open on December 27 (weather permitting). This is Brampton’s very own ski slopes, complete with ski chalet for gear rentals, and ski-lift. You can use the slopes for skiing, snowboarding or tubing. See our feature article: Brampton Ski Slopes for more information on their holiday schedule. Visit the city’s webpage to learn more.
Christmas in the Park: Chinguacousy Park hosts Christmas in the Park on Saturday, December 21, with family activities during the day. See our feature article: Christmas in the Park for more information.
Brampton Animal Services: Consider giving back to animals this holiday season, as a special way to ring in the new year. Those wishing to donate toys or supplies for the pets in the shelter can check out Brampton Animal Services’ Amazon Wish List. If you wish to make a monetary donation, visit HOPE (Helping Orphaned Pets in Emergencies) Fund, which provides emergency medical care for sick and injured animals, so they can become adopted. Every single penny counts.
Brampton’s New Year’s Eve 2020: Garden Square at downtown Brampton hosts a New Year’s Eve party on December 31, with event kick-off at 8 p.m. There are two countdowns to ring in the New Year, the first for early sleepers. See our feature article: New Year’s Eve 2020.
Fireworks: the city allows New Year’s Eve as one of the four approved days in the year when short-range fireworks are allowed to be set off on private property. Short-range fireworks travel less than 10 feet when set off. All other rocket-type fireworks are banned in Brampton. Fireworks are not allowed to be set off on streets and sidewalks, within City parks or on municipal or school properties. For more information visit: Brampton.ca. For information on disposal, see our feature article on how to properly dispose of fireworks after use.
Mayor’s New Year’s Levee: Join the long-standing tradition and celebration at City Hall’s Atrium, on Thursday, January 2, 2020, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. For more information on the event visit the city’s webpage here.