The winter garbage exemption period for the Region of Peel will be from January 27 – February 7. You can check your collection calendar for your specific garbage exemption day.
On your garbage exemption day
- You can put as much acceptable garbage as you have out on the curb
- You don’t need garbage tags
Placement and collection
- Put your extra trash out with your regular garbage on collection day. Collectors won’t pick up garbage from the curb on recycling collection days.
- Garbage collectors may collect your cart and any excess refuse at different times during the day.
- Leave your garbage cart and excess trash at the curb until 8 pm. If neither your cart or trash are collected after 8 pm, you can report a missed collection.
Placing extra garbage on the curb
- Put smaller garbage in trash bags
- Place bigger items separately on the curb
- Place all excess trash next to your garbage cart. Be sure to leave 1 metre (about 3 feet) of space between the excess refuse and your cart.
Excess garbage bag weight and size limits
Any and all garbage bags put out on the curb for collection cannot:
- Weigh more than 20 kilograms
- Be larger than 66 centimetres wide and 90 centimetres high
- Be smaller than 30 centimetres wide and 30 centimetres high
If you have any questions, head over to the Region of Peel Waste Management page here.